After being disappointed from applying all those shampoos from loreal, sunsilk, pantene, dove, head & shoulders, forrest essential and even Lush shampoo bars. I realized that none of them is actually doing anything for my hair. And if its just about cleaning the oil and dirt then why not use castile soap and avoid getting undue chemicals in hair.
One thought led to another and here after a lot of research I tried making my own DIY shampoo which is nourishing and will clean oil and hair from the head too. So here is the recipe. Hope you like it.
- 1/2 cup coconut milk (BPA free, if buying from market)
- 1/4 cup honey for dry hair can also be added
- 2/3 cup castile soap (Click here to make cost effective castile liquid soap)
- 1/2 tsp vitamin E Oil ( completely optional)
- 1/2 cup aloe gel (Read here to make your own aloe gel)
- 30 drops of any essential oil, I am using lavender since it controls oil production and I have an oily scalp
- 1 tsp of cold pressed organic olive oil. (Use jojoba oil and tea tree essential oil for itchy scalp)
- In case you want to thicken your shampoo consistency you can also add 1/2 tsp xanthum gum
Thats pretty simple, just mix all the ingredients. Store it in your shampoo jar. Shake well before using.
In case you are making your own coconut milk all you need to do is take 1.5 to 2 cups of shredded coconut. Take 4 cups of warm water. Blend partial water with shredded coconut in a blender. Add the remaining water to according to the thickness of coconut milk required. Voila! Coconut milk is ready.
Its always recommended to have an extremely diluted apple cider vinegar rinse after shampooing to restore the PH balance of the scalp. Since castile soap are alkaline in nature.
Where to buy the ingredients in india from?
- Cold pressed Oils can be bought from soulflower.biz, forest essential, kama ayurveda, health 1st etc
- Castile Soap is a huge challenge in India, so refer to my recipe above.
- Buy only D-alpha tocopherol Vitamin E capsules. Read about it here.
- Xanthum Gum can be bought from gourmetco.in (Bobs Red Mill Xanthum Gum) or you and get it from Chandni Chowk, Delhi.
Let me know how did you find this recipe for your hair.
Love Loads ! Shrads !
After doing day and night research on where to buy castile liquid soap in India from, I got nothing except from various people stating that its not available in India. But since I was determined and desperate , I figured out my ways… I found some one on facebook who makes homemade natural soaps and fortunately she makes unscented castile soap bars too.
Now began the search of making liquid castile soap from soap bars; and here is the exact procedure.
- 4 oz / 125 gms of castile soap bar
- 8 cups / 2 ltrs of filtered or distilled water
- 1 tbsp / 15ml of vegetable glycerin (optional)
- Take a large container and set your water to boil in it
- Grate your soap bar by hand or food processor
- Add the grated soap into the boiling water and let it boil for 15 more mins. Don’t cover the lid of the container.
- Stir the liquid in between for 5-6 times. You will find the soap dissolved into the liquid making it a lil soapy though not thick. Don’t worry it will happen
- Add glycerin now
- Allow the mixture to cool for 24 hrs, it will settle and thicken once it cools
- Now blend/beat the entire mixture with a electronic blender. It will become frothy and slimy. dont worry you are going in the right direction.
- Dependent on the outcome of the product you can add a lil water in case it is too thick
- Store the product in large containers
- Now take small quantities in different bottles and add essential oils of your choice. For babies prefer not to add any.
WHERE TO BUY THE INGREDIENTS FROM
- Castile soap bars: You can buy them from people who make natural soap bars or write back to me, and I will help you on the same. A lil expensive alternate in India can be to buy Dr Bronners Castile Soap from Snapdeal.com though they are selling it at sky rocketing prices. For eg 5 oz soap bar will cost you Rs 962 from which you can make 1500 ml of liquid castile soap. Buying 1500 ml of Dr Bronner’s liquid castile in US will cost you Rs 1500 approx. So that would not be a bad deal at all. On the other hand if you get local castile soap bar it will cost you only Rs 200 max for 1500 ml of liquid castile soap. So the choice is yours!
- Vegetable Glycerin: you should find a non-GMO, USP grade, kosher certified, allergen free vegetable glycerin. Read more about it here.
Let it know your feedback below. would love to hear from you.
Love loads! Shrads ! XOXO!