After being disappointed from applying all those shampoos from loreal, sunsilk, pantene, dove, head & shoulders, forrest essential and even Lush shampoo bars. I realized that none of them is actually doing anything for my hair. And if its just about cleaning the oil and dirt then why not use castile soap and avoid getting undue chemicals in hair.
One thought led to another and here after a lot of research I tried making my own DIY shampoo which is nourishing and will clean oil and hair from the head too. So here is the recipe. Hope you like it.
- 1/2 cup coconut milk (BPA free, if buying from market)
- 1/4 cup honey for dry hair can also be added
- 2/3 cup castile soap (Click here to make cost effective castile liquid soap)
- 1/2 tsp vitamin E Oil ( completely optional)
- 1/2 cup aloe gel (Read here to make your own aloe gel)
- 30 drops of any essential oil, I am using lavender since it controls oil production and I have an oily scalp
- 1 tsp of cold pressed organic olive oil. (Use jojoba oil and tea tree essential oil for itchy scalp)
- In case you want to thicken your shampoo consistency you can also add 1/2 tsp xanthum gum
Thats pretty simple, just mix all the ingredients. Store it in your shampoo jar. Shake well before using.
In case you are making your own coconut milk all you need to do is take 1.5 to 2 cups of shredded coconut. Take 4 cups of warm water. Blend partial water with shredded coconut in a blender. Add the remaining water to according to the thickness of coconut milk required. Voila! Coconut milk is ready.
Its always recommended to have an extremely diluted apple cider vinegar rinse after shampooing to restore the PH balance of the scalp. Since castile soap are alkaline in nature.
Where to buy the ingredients in india from?
- Cold pressed Oils can be bought from soulflower.biz, forest essential, kama ayurveda, health 1st etc
- Castile Soap is a huge challenge in India, so refer to my recipe above.
- Buy only D-alpha tocopherol Vitamin E capsules. Read about it here.
- Xanthum Gum can be bought from gourmetco.in (Bobs Red Mill Xanthum Gum) or you and get it from Chandni Chowk, Delhi.
Let me know how did you find this recipe for your hair.
Love Loads ! Shrads !