Like you I have also been using various face washes on my face, untill I got to know that all these ingredients used in our skin care products & cosmetics are really harmful. Find a list of them here.
So I decided to dump all these chemical based products & switch to my grand ma recipe of using gram flour(besan) which works better on my skin than any other face washes available in the market. I used to mix gram flour with milk, cucumber juice, orange juice etc or water to make it a lil liquidy & pasty before applying. And trust me it worked wonders every morning.
Then I came across OCM (Oil Cleansing Method) as one of the best methods based on the principle oil attracts oil. After doing a lot of research & reading recommendations from internet friends, I was ready to try the same. But still the thought of using oil directly on a dirty face makes me a little skeptical. So I decided to create a home made face wash before I use OCM on my face to clean & hydrate at the same time. Plus guys don’t forget the fact that if you have to travel you cant carry gram flour all the time. On top of it What do you offer to your guest when they ask for a face wash. Embarrassing right!
So I decided to go for an organic facewash, which every second month created a hole in my pocket. And Every time i use to run over the ingredients of the same, i use to find loop holes like Base QS etc in forest essentials and other brands. So I decide to make my own recipe best suited for my combination & dull skin.
The recipe that I am going to create is based on green tea as a key ingredient. This will create lather & foam as your other face washes you have been using. But will be 100 times better for your skin. Green tea helps in reducing wrinkles & blemishes.
- 1 tbsp. liquid castile soap
- 2 tbsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. xantham gum or Guar gum (easily available in India)
- 2 tbsp. witch hazel
- Key Ingredient: 3/4 c. organic green(chamomile) loose tea steeped in distilled water
- Base/Carrier Oil
- 15 drops Rosehip oil
- 1/4 tsp. vitamin E (or 1200 IU) or Sweet almond oil
- Essential Oils
- 6 drops peppermint essential oil
- 8 drops lavender essential oil
Or you can try the following depending on your skin type
- Oily Skin: Antiseptic EO like tea tree, bergamot, geranium, or lemongrass.
- Dry Skin: Mild EO like chamomile, sandalwood, lavender, or rose.
- Mature Skin: lavender, neroli, jasmine, or geranium
- Moisturizer : 2 tbsp. raw honey
- Bottling: Any clean Pump or a squirt bottle
Preparation, Instructions & Application
Start with brewing a cup of chamomile(strong) tea in distilled water and set cup aside to cool. Remember not to pour green tea while the water is boiling, rather add green tea after you have boiled distilled water. Mix the remaining ingredients in a mixing bowl and add the brewed tea once it is completely cooled. Pour the mixture in a small squirt clean bottle or pump bottle.
Where to buy these ingredients?
Castile Soaps are not available in India, some site like Snapdeal & evitamins does import them, but you might have to pay a hefty amount of tax on them. So the best way is to ask any of you relative to get it from abroad. Some good brand are Dr Bronners, Kiss my face etc
Xanthum gum: Bobs Red Mill provides Xanthum Gum, & here’s the best news. After a lot of research i found out that Gourmet India, Zansaar, Healthyworld.in keeps them. While surfing if you don’t find them online you can request an order with them.
Gaur Gum: Buy it from any high end grocery store.
Honey: Various types of honey that you will find in the market with range from local, raw, 100% organic certified, flovaored etc. Now what does all these types of honey means and which one is the best for you, can be read here. But on a quicker note you need to buy 100% raw & organic honey. Some brands can be YS Eco Honey, 24 Letter Mantra – Organic Himalayan Multiflower Honey, Claridges Manuka Honey , Societe Naturelle etc..
Benefits & Workings?
- Castile soap is a luxuriant, gentle & extra liquid soap which is manufactured from certified organic materials & pure plant derivatives. It contain no harsh chemicals sudsing agents, additives, or colorants.
- Baking Soda: It contains a lot of sodium and gets absorbed by skin, so if you are advised to reduce your sodium intake, please dont add this. Otherwise baking soda is known for its cleansing properties and has been used in the kitchen for ages. It is also known as a mild exfoliator for skin.
- Gaur Gum: It is edible thickening agent extracted from guar beans. Because of it properties of forming gel in water it is widely used in cosmetic & food industry.
- Xanthum Gum is an emulsifier or a thickener which helps ingredients like oil & water stay blended while waiting on shelf. It is obtained by fermenting corn sugar with a bacteria,Xanthomonas campestris.
- Rest ingredient as we all know are moisturizing, cleansing, radical fighting etc… in case you need more details on them you can write to me
Let me know, if you tried it and how did it work for you. XOXO!