Carrier Oils, Vegetable oils & essential oils all have plethora of therapeutic & culinary applications. Today oils are being produced in various fashion, having different degrees of quality; but does all these processes are great for consumption?
Lets find out:
1. Cold pressed: A mechanical extraction where temperatures are minimized & controlled to 80-90 Fahrenheit. This process helps in maintaining the original state & constituents of the oil.
2. Expeller Pressed: In this mechanical extraction only small amount of heat is produced due to the friction of hydraulic presses. the temperature in this case is usually around 120-200 degree Fahrenheit. In this process the molecular state of the oil is fairly undisturbed, hence making it fit as food grade oil & usage of cosmetics & skin care products.
3. Refined Oil: Its a fully processed oil where oil goes through flash fluctuation (450 degrees Fahrenheit), winterization (-30 degrees), deodorization & bleaching. These methods are specifically used for oil which needs longer shelf life or can go rancid quickly. These are economical for cosmetic usage but not for food.
4. Partially Refined: When out of the above above maximum of one, or two, or three are used as a combination to produce oil, it is known as partially refined.
5. Unrefined: These are the most exquisite form of oil with rich, strong flavor & color. This mechanical extraction involves only screen filtering & no other mechanical procedure.
Always Remember: You should use a carrier oil which is cold pressed or expeller pressed, Certified organic and unrefined.
BRANDS YOU CAN BUY
- Various brands which offer cold pressed & expeller organic oils in India are Forest Essential, Kama Ayurveda, Soulflower, Health 1st, Natural Fragrances, Moksha lifestyle
- Brands which are available outside India are Mountain Rose Herbs, Aura Cacia,
HOW TO CHOOSE A CARRIER OIL
Choosing the right carrier oil is very important. It depends on your skin type, age and special treatment required for your skin. Below is the list of some carrier oils which can be experimented depending on your skin.[table “” not found /]
Now lets learn about the benefits of some of these oil and understand where can you buy it from.
Jojoba Oil: This is considered to be a sebum - an oil that human expel to lubricate their skin and hair. It is suitable for all skin types. Hence it becomes excellent in using as a scalp cleanser & conditioner, in increasing hair shine and increasing hair growth. It also has many valuable benefits for skin due to its mineral content. It acts as a great moisturiser, its has great face cleansing property & works brilliantly for wrinkle, acne etc… Read more about it here.
Sweet Almond Oil: This is a great oil and helps in moisturizing any skin type. It helps in lightening skin tone, reducing dark circle, removing dead skin, delaying age, treating chapped lips, making hair shiny, long and dandruff free.
Castor Oil: It is a high absorb-able topical oil which keeps one hydrated and free from infections.It is a great face cleanser and hence makes the base for OCM(Oil cleansing method). Castor oil works great for Hair growth and hence makes a brilliant serum for eye lashes and eye brows, check out the recipe here.
Sunflower Oil: Due to its calming and moisturizing properties it is very healthy for skin. It contains Vitamin E and beta-carotene which helps you protect from UVB rays of sun. Being exceptionally light and non greasy it gets absorbed into the skin very nicely, hence brilliant for acne prone skin. Because of this light texture it is also great for frizzy, dry & damaged hair. Also It makes a great source for making lip balms. Maximum of the lip balms over the counter contains sunflower oil.
Sesame Oil: This oil is highly moisturizing, detoxifying and helps repair damaged skin cells. It also contains Vitamin E and antioxidants and hence it helps in slowing down aging and prevents free radicals. It also acts as a great sunscreen. If to be used daily you can use it as a body lotion after hot bath on wet skin. You can also use cosmetic grade cooking oil as a sunscreen. Mix 3 drops of any of these essential oils such as rosemary, clove, cedar wood, thyme or lavender per tsp of seasame oil. Seasame Oil is also great for Oil Pulling.
Coconut Oil: We all know that coconut oil is brilliant for hair, but trust it is does wonder for skin too. Buy a bottle of unrefined organic coconut oil and use it as a moisturizer for body & face. it contains SPF 4 and hence is used to make diy sunscreens too. Its anti bacterial properties helps you in remove stretch marks & scars. You can also dry shave with this oil. And on top of it coconut oil is great for Oil Pulling too because of its great anti bacterial properties.
Evening Primrose Oil: it nourishes nails, scalp & hair due to the good amount of fatty acid contained in it. Due to its anti inflammatory properties, it is great to treat eczema. Its makes a great ingredient for eye serum & skin serum. The GLA acid in it is great for your body if consumed orally to treat pain, eczema and other skin related problems